The following motion was passed by the London Central Branch.
London Central Branch endorses the call made to the NEC by the FT Chapel for FT chapel officers to participate in the discussion about the union’s financial future by examining the NUJ’s accounts. We also wish London Central NUJ Branch treasurer to be part of that exercise.
We are alarmed to see that the NEC was given only a few days to consider the “Rescue Plan” and told not to discuss it with members.
We believe our financial position should be discussed at a national meeting, preferably at this year’s Delegate Meeting, and the “Rescue Plan” should be suspended until then.
We further believe:
* the use of compulsory redundancies undermines the credibility of the NUJ as a fighting trade union and should be abandoned
* that annual DMs on a cost-effective basis should be a priority
* that recruiting members on the basis of campaigning, active opposition to wage cuts and redundancies holds the key to building union finances
London Central Branch believes that we need
* to show our support for all staff at Headland House, in particular those who may be facing redundancy, and to thank them for their efforts in supporting our branch and helping it to grow
* to remind the NUJ leadership that any strategy for growth will depend upon our vital full-time staff – in particular, organisers, trainers and legal advisors – and
that the success of any strategy to resolve the crisis and build the union demands full, open and democratic discussion with NUJ members and their elected representatives
Posted by NUJ LeftThis entry was posted on Thursday, July 12th, 2012 at 8:30am and is filed under NUJ financial crisis. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.Both comments and pings are currently closed.