All you need to know about where to plant lilies outdoors
Planting calla lilies outside
- If you are wondering where to plant lilies outdoors and when to plant calla lily bulbs, then the best time to do so would be the spring season when the weather outside is rather warm and dry. It is never a good idea to have them planted during cold wet weather days as they can rot easily.
- Before planting the lilies, you should look for spots in your garden having moist and loose soil. Although they love to have direct sunlight on some occasions, it is not wise to plant them in areas with extreme hot sun rays. If your garden is prone to such sunlight, then it is ideal that you plant calla lily in an area where there is a lot of afternoon shade.
- Use a shovel to loosen soil for about a depth of twelve inches. Gently break all the dirt clumps that come up during this process. Put an inch of compost along with an inch of sand in a layered manner. Combine them for about upper six inches of the soil. It will help to improve the soil drainage and offer these lilies ample amounts of nutrients that are released slowly.
- Next, use the hand trowel to dig holes of about 3 or 4 inches depth. Make sure that these holes are spaced apart about 12-24 inches. Put the rhizomes down on the holes with smooth side below and the knobby part pointed upwards. Place only a single flower rhizome in one hole. Use soil to fill up the holes but make sure to keep air pockets.
- Spread some organic mulch around the planting area of a calla lily. This will help to cool the roots and reduce speed of water loss caused by evaporation.
Meaning of Black calla lily
Among the various different shades that these lily flowers come in, one of the most popular ones is the black variant. While being widely regarded as one of the most beautiful flowers of all, it also carries a lot of symbolic meaning of its own and it is worth knowing black calla lily meaning.
The flower is commonly held to be an embodiment of the resurrection of Virgin Mary or Jesus Christ. It is also often held as a symbol of both grace and mystery. However, the flower is also used to symbolize a number of negative events or emotions as well, like a final parting gift offered at the ending of a loving relationship or saying goodbye. The shape and color of calla lily are also frequently associated with lustiness and decadence.
where to plant lilies outdoors
A calla lily is not only an extraordinary gardening flower in its own right, but it has also mesmerized countless poets and artists over centuries. These flowers are also believed to have sacred and deeper meanings as well. For any gardener, it is a real delight to have these planted and grown to fruitfulness. Even looking at the calla lily pictures can fill a person with so much joy. So let’s explore the various methods that one should follow while we are having question that where to plant lilies outdoors.