Do you know what calla lily is? This is a plant which grows in the South African forest and is also known by different names. Its scientific or botanical name is Zantedeschia aethiopica. It was Linnaeus, the Swedish botanist who first classified it in 1753 as Calla aethiopica but later Sprengel in 1826 correct and renamed it as Zantedeschia aethiopica. This grows from a single bulb and requires the weather to be wet in order to grow and bloom.
We can see it mainly in the month of May, June and July that is during the monsoon time. It continues to provide flowers from spring to fall if it is kept inside at proper temperatures. Otherwise planting calla lilies outside gives beautiful leaves all-round the year. These flowers are classified into the class group as Liliopsida and are of the order Alismatales.
This is a very sensible plant and is wildly grown in the wet areas of South Africa forest. The flowers are colourful and look amazing under the sun. These come out with different colours and they are pink, purple, shades of green, orange and yellow. But there are some factors which are important for the growth of this plant. Some of these factors are:
– For ideal growth calla lily requires a temperature not greater than 65 degrees Fahrenheit and not less than 55 degrees This plant cannot sustain temperatures more than 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
– It is a water loving plant. It loves wet conditions and grows bet in wet grounds. For caring for calla lilies in a pot inside it prefers moist condition.
– It grows best in potting soil and does not favour unbalanced pH soils with too much of fertilizer.
– For the better part, it does not require any fertilizer in order to bloom. But, if you use any fertilizer, use it without ammonium in it. But remember, continued fertilization can actually harm the health of this plant.
– Humidity is not required as much when the soil is moist. Especially during the winter season, this plant requires little humidity.
– This plant requires re-potting in order to maintain plant moisture and requires re-potting for the bulb for not to rot. This happens when watering makes the water sit on the ground.
Calla lily has been useful in many ways. Its flowers look beautiful together and thus can be used to make popular yearlong cut flowers arrangement. These are used in occasions like weddings and engagement occasions. Home decorations are another use of this plant with calla lily pictures on the walls. It also has medicinal benefits which work for those who have skin diseases and for those who have hair falling problems. It is said that it this flower can be rubbed on the skin then there will be not skin diseases for the yearlong. The only disadvantage is that the flowers only grow during June and July months for the whole year.